Friday, March 25, 2011

Naked Friday

One of my favorite blogs (other than my own, of course) is Two Pitties in the City.  The other day, they had a post about how different their dogs looked "naked," as opposed to when they are wearing a collar, harness, etc.  Coincidentally, I had taken Maisie's collar off the previous night because she was keeping me awake by fidgeting next to me in bed and in the morning, I was struck by how stealthy and silent she was.  It seemed like every time I turned around, she was RIGHT THERE.  For such a normally un-graceful dog, it was almost like the collar removal turned her from a boxer into a ballerina.  Almost.  

But appearance-wise, she actually does come across as tougher without the little band of pink around her neck.
"You talkin' to ME?"

I bought her a pink collar specifically because I'm so frequently asked "how old is he?" and "what's his name?"  In my experience, people tend to assume pit bulls are male unless informed otherwise.  I guess that's because pitties are such a strong and muscular breed, which are typically interpreted as masculine characteristics. I wonder if it works both ways...maybe owners of male poodles purchase blue collars to avoid gender confusion?

Maisie is just as cute collar-less, of course.  Perhaps even cuter since you can clearly see her "tuxedo" front...though that doesn't really help her look more feminine, I suppose!
"How YOU doin'?"

I also happened to catch a rare shot with her ears sticking out.  It's quite adorable, if I do say so myself.

Hope you all have a happy Friday...whether you choose to spend it clothed or not!

5 comments:

Two Pitties in the City said...

It's so funny what a difference a collar can make, totally changing their appearance. We're still trying to get over the whole "ninja" thing; we used to be able to hear them from anywhere, and now I turn around and there is a face just staring at me. (And thanks for the compliment!)

Of Pit Bulls and Patience said...

What a cutie! I always pick girlie looking collars for Skye, and boy collars for Parker. It seems like everyone we meet has their "ohhh, that's the girl and THATS the boy?" moment. But the silent stalker is not an issue in our house- too many hardwood floors, so their nails give them away. Anyway, thanks for visiting our blog, we'll be back to read again soon!

Maisie's Mom said...

thanks to both of you, for writing your blogs and for reading mine! it makes me feel a little less crazy. ;)

Anonymous said...

So Cute! She looks just like my Blackie! :)

Maisie's Mom said...

I thought so too! :)

p.s. hoping to have enough material for a new post tonight or tomorrow!