Friday, April 8, 2011

Sick Puppy

Poor Miss Maisie is not feeling well today.

She was uncharacteristically sleepy this morning, which I attributed to last night's playdate with her friend Mister Peepers.  But when she didn't want to get out of bed for breakfast, I started to think something might be wrong.  She walked downstairs very slowly, refused her chicken flavored glucosamine chew and seemed reluctant to eat (but did).  Since she normally wolfs down her food as soon as I "free" her, this was highly suspicious behavior. Shortly after we returned from our morning walk, she vomited...and yes, cleaning up an entire meal's worth of regurgitated raw meat really is a lovely way to start one's day.

Off to the vet we went.  Maisie received subcutaneous fluids and shots of both Pepcid and an anti-nausea medication, while I received nothing but an invoice for $168.  We went to the office with a diagnosis of "possible flu bug" and Maisie slept the whole day.  I gave her just a bit of food and water about 45 minutes ago (yeah, I was supposed to wait 12 hours instead of 10...whatever) and she has managed to keep it down.  She actually still seems hungry.  As long as she doesn't get sick again, I can go about my weekend as planned...I almost never take her to daycare and later crate her within the same day, but of course Murphy's Law is in effect and that was the schedule for tomorrow due to me having an unusually busy day/night. Fingers crossed that Maisie is feeling better...in the meantime, my sweet little baby is getting more much needed rest before we attempt dinner!

1 comment:

Carrie, with Tanner and Oliver said...

Feel better, Maisie. If ya'll are doing better, maybe you'd like to join in some fun next weekend.

I dropped by to tell you about an event at my blog. Next weekend while I’m playing on this hop, I’ll also be hosting one at my blog. I’d love to have you join in to help homeless bunny friends find furever homes. Check it out http://www.allthingsdogblog.com/2011/04/easter-rabbit-adoptathon-blog-hop.html