Saturday, January 29, 2011

First Post

Welcome to a blog planned to be mostly about a girl (if one nearly 40 years old can still be considered a girl) and her dog.  Not just any dog, but a snuggly yet crazy suspected pit bull/Jack Russell terrier mix named Maisie.  Breed to (hopefully) be confirmed by the DNA test our dog walker thoughtfully gave us as a belated holiday gift.

I've had Maisie for two of her estimated three years now, and while she definitely has issues (to be covered in subsequent posts), thankfully she is exceptionally cute.  And she looks so peaceful when she sleeps sometimes, it has a calming effect on me.
 
She keeps me somewhat active whether I like it or not.  Even when it's freezing out and all I want to do is stay inside, I still have to get off my butt (and bundle us both up) to walk her in the snow.

She hates her little pink fleece, so I don't make her wear it during our weekend visits to the local dog park.  Maisie loves the park in all seasons, but particularly likes to roll in the gravel there when the weather is nicer.

I wish I knew what she went through in that first year before she was found as a stray. She has what I refer to as "PTSD" dreams sometimes (not usually very often but twice in the last week) where she shrieks and wails in her sleep.  They always scare the crap out of me, but make me so glad that she's now safe from whatever nightmares she experienced while awake in the past.

She is sometimes like my child and sometimes my best friend.  Many days, she is both.  I've already moved once because of Maisie...there's not much I wouldn't do for her.  A lot of people think I'm nuts because of it...maybe you do too!

No comments: